Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for Dressage Saddles

Default Recommendations for Dressage Saddles

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has a specific dressage saddle as opposed to GP's and of so what makes do you have and/or recommend.....

Ultimately i would love to trade my GP in for a dressage and sj saddle but i can't afford it at the moment. I would get an Albion dressage saddle and either an Albion or Pessoa jumping saddle.

Been riding again this week in my Isabell Werth wintec saddle and really love it - even though it has me walking like John Wayne.

To be honest, it is really down to personal choice. A certain saddle many people adore and recommend may not be suitable at all for you.

Whereabouts are you based? If you could try saddles with different seat depths, knee blocks etc. that would be the best way for you to rule out what you dislike. Holmestead have a good choice of new and secondhand saddles, and one of the ladies in there is very knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to saddle fitting. If you make an appointment you could bring your horse there with you and try different styles, and see what's right for you both.

The first dressage saddle I bought for my current horse was an older model Lovatt & Ricketts one, and I loved it at the time. It had quite a shallow seat with only very slight knee blocks.

Last November, I bought a brand new SC Malmo dressage saddle in Holmestead, as the Lovatt & Ricketts saddle no longer fit him (he needed a wider fit). I absolutely love it, but it's the complete opposite to what I had before...! It has a deep seat with huge knee blocks, but it is fabulous to ride in. I always get comments at shows about it too; it really is very nice
    Last edited by Alibear; 29-04-2010 at 07:33 PM.
    My lovely horse, running through the fields.
    Where are you going with your fetlocks blowing in the wind?
    I want to shower you with sugar lumps and ride you over fences.
    Polish your hooves every single day, and bring you to the horse dentist...

Quote Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
    Ultimately i would love to trade my GP in for a dressage and sj saddle but i can't afford it at the moment. I would get an Albion dressage saddle and either an Albion or Pessoa jumping saddle.
    I've a Pessoa - they're great, really comfortable! My sister has a Stubben but its not as nice as the Pessoa! My friend has a Jaguar saddle for sale which my sister is tempted to trade her Stubben for.

Tipperary or Kentucky depending on the season.

You need to sit in as many as you can and go from there. It'll also depend on what brands suit your horse.

Currently I have an Albion SLK, County WB and Passier Lennox/GG

I have an Isabell Werth too; works for me, low maintenance and very very reasonable. As Druid has stated sit on as many as you can and remember its not just the make but the model you need to like. For example I did not like the Cair air system and went with the flock.
    Whatever you do shop around online when you find what you want. You will save nearly 50% from buying retail in Ireland.
    Equestrian clearance is a very good site; they have the saddle I got for 1/2 the price I would have paid in well known stores around here.
    http://www.equestrianclearance.com/w...dle/index.html

I think you need to ride in any saddle rather than just sit in it.

I bought a Passier and sold it after hardly riding in it at all. The seat was wonderful but the flaps put my legs in a weird position. I ride in a Keiffer Wein, just bought my 2nd and LOVE it. Had a Berney for a while but IMHO it's really a GP tree with long flaps. And a loan of an Albion but found it too bulky - too much between me and the horse.

There was a long post about saddles recently, might be worth trying to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    For example I did not like the Cair air system and went with the flockl[/url]
    Me too!

Isabell Werth wintec for me

Have a prestige doge and love it...but to be honest it was the first saddle I found after a long search that fit horse (and me) perfectly
    Pony Club Mum of the future!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm hoping to try out a few next week and see how I get on. I was just wondering what makes people are using as there are a few I haven't heard of. Fingers crossed I find something nice.... within my budget!

Still looking for help here.... have a second hand Albion K2 dressage on loan at the moment which the owner wants 850euro for it & wont budge on the price..... but mare goes fab in it! Ive fallen in love with the bloody saddle, he knew what he was doing leaving it with me for a couple of weeks..... Or I have a shop up North offering a brand new Isabella for 650 euro..... Ive ridden in the Isabella too and I know I like it. Which would you go for? Second hand leather or new synthetic? My head is wrecked after the last few months of looking

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Still looking for help here.... have a second hand Albion K2 dressage on loan at the moment which the owner wants 850euro for it & wont budge on the price..... but mare goes fab in it! Ive fallen in love with the bloody saddle, he knew what he was doing leaving it with me for a couple of weeks..... Or I have a shop up North offering a brand new Isabella for 650 euro..... Ive ridden in the Isabella too and I know I like it. Which would you go for? Second hand leather or new synthetic? My head is wrecked after the last few months of looking
    Well if this helps at all; it took me exactly 5 mins to give the I.W a thorough clean the other night

You'll get an IW online for half that if not more! There's plenty of them on ebay.

yeah loads on ebay,have a look now you know what you like.
    i got my dressage saddle on ebay 2yrs ago and hav'nt looked back.

I'm probably no help either as I am one of those people with obscure continental brands!
    My three dressage saddles are (the old reliable) Berney dressage which goes on everything
    An Ainsley dressage saddle which we had made to our specs (knowing the company owner helped)
    And a Fredy Roosli which is a Swiss brand and a really lovely saddle, but I've never seen any more of them round here.
    Have also ridden quite a lot in a Wow dressage saddle and while I know lots of people don't like them I found it very comfortable to ride in.

Try ringing round a few tack shops to see if they have the same Albion in stock secondhand. At least you know you like those now, so you might manage to pick one up for less than the 850.
    Definitely try Ebay also if you know exactly what you're looking for. I've bought a saddle on there and it worked out great.
    Last edited by Napoles; 12-07-2010 at 06:13 PM.

we bought our dressage saddles from local dealer for about €250 i think they were english it was a couple of years ago and sold them since, both excellent condition and so cheap that where easy to sell on, would worry that a synethetic would lose value so quickly as even gp synthetics dont hold value. also try and get it proffessionally fitted then you know what ever you chose is for long term.

now in fairness i haven't ridden in all that much dressage saddles but i'd assume it would follow the lines of all other saddles...
    like AB and others said, no matter how highly recommended a saddle is if it's not th right fit or not 100% for you then it's no good. i'd say your best bet would be find some one/where with a large variety and try them all - you might find that it's some unheard of brand or ancient model that works for you. Would also assume that the more you do in the saddle the better a feel you'd get for it...

I'm glad to hear there isn't 1 right answer anyways! I've been watching eBay for a few weeks now and the Albion I have on loan has been on eBay going for between £650-£1000 sterling, and thats second hand, I've watched about 6/8 of them now to see what price they are selling at. There's plenty of IW's around, I've been watching them too... Is 850euro too much for a second hand saddle? Sounds like a lot considering the price of the IW new! But its just the most comfortable saddle ever and the best fit on my mare....