Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nail Bind? Or something else! Long….sorry…..

Default Nail Bind? Or something else! Long….sorry…..

Well the grey donkey is in today munching on his mountain of hay and gazing out at the rain.
    First time he’s ever had to spend the day in. He’s hopping like a drama queen on his off-fore and giving me sad eyes.
    Very worried me.
    I had the farrier out on Monday night who gave a good trim and put on a full set and even commented on how well and improved H’s feet were…happy me. He’s been barefoot and a field ornament for nearly a month now and very happy in himself, never a lame day with my donk.

Then horse went out all day yesterday, I didn’t notice anything yesterday morning but I do turn out in the dark in a bit of a rush so as long as he’s bright eyed and eating breakfast and still had 4 legs, I don’t have time for much more of a check that early in the morning. That said I think I’d have noticed something major, but I’m doubting myself now as it was dark and he walked out to his field without a bother after breakfast….but maybe I wasn’t looking closely enough

Sooooo……he comes in last night lame, truly hopping !!!!
    Went over every part of him last night with a fine tooth comb, his feet do llook well at the moment, strong, no cracks, no smell, no softness or bruising, lovely frog without any cracking, best I’ve seen in him so I’m a bit ?
    I can’t find any heat high up, nothing in tendon, nothing in knee, he flexes and turns his shoulder without any complaint but won’t put his full weight on his foot! Slight heat in his foot but if it’s bind I would have expected more ? again big doubting me. Digital pulse, but not exactly pounding, again more doubts? As farrier trimmed and shod and went over him on Monday night I expect if it was a drop he would have noticed something? Also surely with an abscess it would be gradual not this sudden hopping? So anyway hot tubbed him in epsom salts in case they’res something in there last night and put him to bed. And then worried all night.

This morning he’s was still hopping so called the farrier (possibly a bit early, he sounded grumpy! Whoops!) He will hopefully make it back out to me tonight to pull the shoe off. I’m thinking he’s got a nail a bit too close but I am lip-biting in case its something else, I’m happy with my farrier and he always does a good job so am panicking that it’s something else. Will pull shoe tonight. Anybody got other ideas? Needless to say if farrier finds nothing tonight it will be vet I’m ringing! (sorry for long story, had to share my worries)

Nah, stop worrying. Sounds just like he might have shod him a bit tight. Happened one of ours last year - farrier came out the next day and pulled and redid the shoe and he was right as rain.

(and I should say this was a top farrier who always does a good job. Just one of those things)
    Last edited by Napoles; 12-01-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Oh yah sure stop worrying....no problem...
    Hope so, thanks N!

Sorry if I sounded a bit casual. It's just that it sounds very clear cut to me and exactly what happened us last year, so I would put money on it being a shoe on too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoles View Post
    Sorry if I sounded a bit casual.
    whoops no not casual
    just very little chance i'll stop worrying about the spoiled one not being utterly happy
    Just hoping it is something simple

You can only do one thing at a time and the route you are taking is the right one in my book. Its always stressful when they are hopping and you just want to have an answer as to what the issue is yesterday. Keep him in regardless and then if it is not the hoof he won't have done any further damage anyway by the time the vet sees him.
    Agree with Napoles that it is more than likely down to the shoeing...fingers crossed either way

Do you know I'm always much more relaxed if I see a hopping horse, he either has a stone bruise or a too tight shoe.

The lameness I hate is the not so bad, noddy, ouchy, not really sure sort of lameness with scarey heat on a tendon, that's the type to make me cry.

But sorry your boy is feeling it

Quote Originally Posted by harvey View Post
    Do you know I'm always much more relaxed if I see a hopping horse, he either has a stone bruise or a too tight shoe.

The lameness I hate is the not so bad, noddy, ouchy, not really sure sort of lameness with scarey heat on a tendon, that's the type to make me cry.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about it too.

thanks guys...hurry up clock so i can go home and tend to Mr Sad

Definitely agree with this and is exactly what I'm going through at the minute with one of mine.

Molasses it sounds as though it is a nail bind. He should be fine once the the shoe is removed. An old farrier once said to me that for a nail bind/nail prick, pour hot water over the hoof. I think the idea is to expand the nail hole and relieve the pain. I don't know if this works as thankfully haven't had to use it myself but my instructor has before on one of her pony's and it definitely helped.

Hope its all sorted for you & the big grey fella soon M

Looking out at the weather I'd say he is quite glad to be tucked up in bed!! Sounds like a nail bind or drop. Drops can come on quite suddenly and wouldn't have necessarily been there mon nite!

Fingers crossed for you molasses sounds like a nail bind so I'm wishing the clock forward for you today!
    sunshine brings out the naughty in both horse & rider Hidden Content

Nah, stop worrying. Sounds just like he might have shod him a bit tight. Happened one of ours last year - farrier came out the next day and pulled and redid the shoe and he was right as rain.

(and I should say this was a top farrier who always does a good job. Just one of those things)
    I agree, the fact, that he went lame shortly after being shod, it happend to fergal twice, he was fine once the shoe was removed.

Sounds just like he might have shod him a bit tight.
    which is what I thought!

He might have gotten used to being barefoot and is now being all "OMG new shoes, ouch ouch ouch" I knew a horse who was like that everytime he was shod, you always knew "farrier's been, hasn't he?"
    ... I aim to misbehave

Is it Antiphlogistine the stuff in the white tub that you stand in boiling water and pack into the foot and cover with brown paper ?

I remember it giving a horse great relief from this type of thing , only if it turns out to be a nail bind though. Obviously if its a drop/abcess you will be treating it differently.

As an aside I only learnt the word "drop" used for abcess a couple of years ago. It seems to be a Cork use of the word is it used in other parts too?

words of wisdom there!!

awh M to you and H its so awful to see them like that, fingers crossed once the farrier pulls the shoe tonight it will relieve it. big time flying by vibes to you so you dont have to sit in work fretting and get home to him! let us know what the farrier says!
    Life is short...Hug your horse!!

Quote Originally Posted by rambling View Post
    As an aside I only learnt the word "drop" used for abcess a couple of years ago. It seems to be a Cork use of the word is it used in other parts too?
    Yep - I always call them drops.

further up the country its also called gravel!

we call it gravel