Thread: How much to break in a horse?

Default How much to break in a horse?

Hi guys.
    I have started to "break in" a horse for the owner of the yard I am currently in. All has been going well and he is an easy enough horse (so far) to work with. Now I spoke to the owner today properly for the first time since I started (just over a week ago) and he just wants him to the stage of basic commands in the arena and then he will be turned out before he goes into training next year (he is going to race).

Realistically how much does it cost to break in a horse if you were to send him away somewhere. I know if they are sent away obviously you have to pay livery costs too but I am trying to get an idea of how much I should be looking for? I have broken in a couple of horses before in the yard that I used to work on so would like to think I know what I am doing I do enjoy this type of thing so am happy enough to be doing it anyway!
    We actually have one of his ex racehorses at the moment who we are doing a bit of work with and may be buying him so was going to take some money off his price by breaking in this horse and try to work it that way.

Any ideas would be helpful!
    Thanks!

Everyone charges different prices some charge by the week some give an overall price for backing, a friend of ours sent a horse away to be backed last week and she was quoted 300-400 euros some charge 90-100 a week just depends how much work you put in and are they at the level that the owner requested
    If you're in a comfort zone, afraid to venture out,Remember that all winners were at one time filled with doubt.A step or two and words of praise can make your dreams come true.Reach for your future with a smile; success is there for you!

as siouxsie said it depends what the owner wants. Personally i dont see how someone could do it for less than 110 a week. Round by us its between 120 and 150 a week.
    When you go to heaven as all good huntsmen do,
    There will be a pack of foxhounds waiting there for you,
    St Peter will be kind enough to pause upon his rounds,
    And listen for a moment to the music of the hounds"

Quote Originally Posted by louthlunatic View Post
    as siouxsie said it depends what the owner wants. Personally i dont see how someone could do it for less than 110 a week. Round by us its between 120 and 150 a week.
    Agree I really question how much work is being done when people are quoting such low prices..the maths vs the effort of doing it correctly don't add up.
    Around here anthing from 120 (very cheap) to 200; some even 400 a week!
    It really depends on what the deliverable is too. Some people may just want them backed and riding (minimum) others will want a finished article.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It really depends on what the deliverable is too. Some people may just want them backed and riding (minimum) others will want a finished article.
    Totally agree with this.

Lots of people I know tend to use the 'breaker-in' for future work. The horse gets 6-10 weeks 'breaking in', goes home for a while but the original trainer stays involved with the horse & rider. Prices vary hugely round us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Agree I really question how much work is being done when people are quoting such low prices..the maths vs the effort of doing it correctly don't add up.
    Around here anthing from 120 (very cheap) to 200; some even 400 a week!
    I charge 120 because I'm just getting started and I found that people baulked at paying 140 which is what I wanted....But if I can get clients and happy clients at the end then hopefully I will get sent more horses. Mine are worked every day. I would prefer to give a finished article....ie hacking down the road on their own and jumping small fences....means I get the horses for longer.....I also prefer to take my time doing all the ground work. I've been lucky with the 3 I've had so far that their owners haven't pushed me to back them quicker they have been very happy just to let me go at my own pace.
    When you go to heaven as all good huntsmen do,
    There will be a pack of foxhounds waiting there for you,
    St Peter will be kind enough to pause upon his rounds,
    And listen for a moment to the music of the hounds"

I priced around recently before sending my horse to be broken and got quoted 100, 120, 140 and 200 per week. All quoted per week rather than an overall price and all were including livery so I'm not sure what I would expect to pay when you take out the livery cost. At the time I was a bit shocked at the idea of paying 140 or 200 but when I stopped and thought about the amount of work that goes into doing it properly I decided I would be willing to pay up to 150 for the right person. Hope that's some help...
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    There are times when you can't trust a horse, times when you can trust a horse and times when you have to trust a horse.

Thanks everyone for your input. To be honest I am kind of enjoying doing it anyway but now I have something to go from

I charge 1000 for a full break (approximately 8 weeks but if it takes longer the price does not change). Walk, Trot, Canter and have a little jump. However you then need to put in a alot of strengthening work!
    Bergin Equine
    "Ethical effective training achieving lightness through harmony"