Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cavan and Goresbridge sales results

very angry Cavan and Goresbridge sales results

Cavan and Goresbridge could really do with taking a leaf out of the Tattersalls book and start publishing sales results online.
    It is very disappointing in this day and age.
    Ah well will have to hang out for The Field tomorrow.
    Last edited by Lark; 07-10-2011 at 11:38 AM.

think Cavan will put up results on there website--eventually.. they are bad though!!
    but as prices were not brill..prob take there time!
    i was at draught sale.. think prices bit better than same sale last year--still poor! gd ones will sell well still

I know! It drives me mad too that you can't get them anywhere online.

Got the impression that Cavan this week was pretty dire.

I sometimes feel its deliberate especially if the prices were very low and lots withdrawn unsold .Less people will see the results if they are just in The Field .

loved being able to see what unsold horses were reaching in price on the tatts page as it gives a better alround picture of sales and prices. its alright them saying good stock sell for good prices and that the average was beloe because the quality was poor but we need to see what breeding/sires are producing prices regardles of been sold or not. and because im nosey

Quote Originally Posted by B.D.I's View Post
    loved being able to see what unsold horses were reaching in price on the tatts page as it gives a better alround picture of sales and prices. its alright them saying good stock sell for good prices and that the average was beloe because the quality was poor but we need to see what breeding/sires are producing prices regardles of been sold or not. and because im nosey
    Wouldn't that make an interesting project for some student , charting the prices the offspring of various sires reached in the ring sold or unsold and seeing how many in each price bracket and what percentage sold on the day.

I know gooduns will still sell at good prices but it may highlight other factors including the dams influence.

Quote Originally Posted by B.D.I's View Post
    but we need to see what breeding/sires are producing prices regardles of been sold or not. and because im nosey
    +1 on both counts
    I really really wanted to see how the Elite foals did yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    +1 on both counts
    I really really wanted to see how the Elite foals did yesterday
    I would love if there was a website showing sales results! Also thought it was very interesting to see in the Tatts results what price the unsold horses were making!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    There are times when you can't trust a horse, times when you can trust a horse and times when you have to trust a horse.

I personally would have brought home only a handful of foals. My favorite made over 8000. Arko III/Puissance/Diamond Serpent. Cruising colt let out unsold at 10000. Few 4000, 6000. Many unsold, but again, I thought the quality was very poor. Today though, was a disaster. No one around the ring. I wouldn't really go by the "unsold" prices. A lot of the time they're run up.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling View Post
    Wouldn't that make an interesting project for some student , charting the prices the offspring of various sires reached in the ring sold or unsold and seeing how many in each price bracket and what percentage sold on the day.

I know gooduns will still sell at good prices but it may highlight other factors including the dams influence.
    Those statistics are compiled and published in the Field sometime in January. The top 10 sale toppers for the previous year in each category- foals, yearlings, 3 yr olds, etc the price they made and the sire of each. Very interesting reading, I'll see if I have a copy of it.

Published sales results though only tell part of the story, many are sold outside the ring privately so wont feature in the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Highnwide View Post
    Those statistics are compiled and published in the Field sometime in January. The top 10 sale toppers for the previous year in each category- foals, yearlings, 3 yr olds, etc the price they made and the sire of each. Very interesting reading, I'll see if I have a copy of it.

Published sales results though only tell part of the story, many are sold outside the ring privately so wont feature in the results.

Highnwide as you say its only half the story , I'm never going to be breeding but think for those that do it isn't really the top ten that matter as so few would be lucky to hit that jackpot but what the middling ones make .

http://www.cavanequestrian.com/sales-reports.asp
    Link above to last weeks Draught/Sport horse Sale... only ones that were sold..
    pity wouldn't put all prices up--ie unsold horses!
    Was a Draught Sale..think prices a little up-maybe 2-5%
    Sport horse sale-looks to be a few good prices got..
    Seems to be a market for well bred horses there! notice to breeders--bred your best mares to the best stallions--will leave a nice return

Talking to a man at draught sales-from midlands..said currently 9000 horses factoried so far this year-maintain get 11000 by year end..and maybe more next year!
    so Fingers crossed the inferior bred horses are a going--leaving ireland will only the top left-get us back on the world stage of horse breeding--leading to good results in equestrian sport!

don't get me wrong--i hate seeing horse's being killed, is a disgrace! but we the irish people-horse lovers supposedly have only ourselves to blame, by breeding everything, in the boom time! was a joke!!! maddness--hopefully them days are pass!! rant over!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy1 View Post
    so Fingers crossed the inferior bred horses are a going--leaving ireland will only the top left-get us back on the world stage of horse breeding--leading to good results in equestrian sport!!
    unfortunatly we are also a nation of sellers and i fear many good stock will be sold abroad and we will have a massize gap as some good broodmares are being knackered or not bred from and this will take time to balance out. there should be some professions to keep some mares , youngstock in the country or we may be buying back progeny ourselves from abroad.

bdi agree totaly--have stated that before on these forumns.. should be a job for the horse board/department of ag! to make sure the top mares/female offsprings are kept on this island--either by purchasing them-or by giving grants to breeders! can see us--with the draught breeding side anyway! people heading to england/usa for purchasing pure draught breeding stock....
    irish are a very feckle nation--most do jump on the bandwagon, ie a good thing! and off again,when hits the rocks..
    happens in all farming practise's..be it dairy/sheep/beef..

http://www.cavanequestrian.com/docs/wys.pdf

Young stock sale here.

Its so depressing. I put a lot of time and effort into my two who are well bred and taken care of and people just try and insult you by offering less than the covering fee. Im lucky that i have enough land to feed them and 10 more so im holding out... For what i dont know but id rather keep them myself than give them away to some opportunist.
    Last edited by Bendihorse; 10-10-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bendihorse View Post
    http://www.cavanequestrian.com/docs/wys.pdf

Young stock sale here.

Its so depressing. I put a lot of time and effort into my two who are well bred and taken care of and people just try and insult you by offering less than the covering fee. Im lucky that i have enough land to feed them and 10 more so im holding out... For what i dont know but id rather keep them myself than give them away to some opportunist.
    I couldn't agree with you more. Stallions fees, Vets fees, Mares upkeep and care, more vets fees (vacs etc), farriers fees, not to mention the worry and heartbreak associated with breeding.
    I would rather keep them too as oppossed to selling them for an insult.

I couldn't agree with you more. Stallions fees, Vets fees, Mares upkeep and care, more vets fees (vacs etc), farriers fees, not to mention the worry and heartbreak associated with breeding.
    I would rather keep them too as oppossed to selling them for an insult.
    Unfortunatey some people probably have had to let them go as they are no longer in a position to keep them on .
    In an ideal world it would be lovley to keep them .
    I think though we would all snap up a bargain if we could .The reality is horse sales are gone through the floor and I dont expect anyone to give away there horses but horses that are making decent money people are still not sellling and this isnt really helpin the horse industy either .Turn over is the only way forward and I repeat I dont expect ppl to give them away but we need to start being a bit more realistic about prices too .I know this is easy said when the price of feed , bedding vets , stallions hasnt come down .

Quote Originally Posted by hooves View Post
    Unfortunatey some people probably have had to let them go as they are no longer in a position to keep them on .
    In an ideal world it would be lovley to keep them .
    I think though we would all snap up a bargain if we could .The reality is horse sales are gone through the floor and I dont expect anyone to give away there horses but horses that are making decent money people are still not sellling and this isnt really helpin the horse industy either .Turn over is the only way forward and I repeat I dont expect ppl to give them away but we need to start being a bit more realistic about prices too .I know this is easy said when the price of feed , bedding vets , stallions hasnt come down .
    Absolutely people need to be realistic but also I would really love if buyers understood how much it costs to breed and produce a foal never mind a 3 or 4 yr old.
    We do it because we love it as the likelihood of making a living from it is very slim.

Absolutely people need to be realistic but also I would really love if buyers understood how much it costs to breed and produce a foal never mind a 3 or 4 yr old.
    We do it because we love it as the likelihood of making a living from it is very slim.
    Yes completley agree how disheartning it is to go to the sales and get buttons .
    I think stalion owners have to really look about bringing there fees down (I know some have ) but as very few this year did I think even less in 2012 will be put in foal if prices are less than fees and sales entries , and yes I really think its about time the horse board , wetherbys etc got thier act together and started having some incentive for breeders .Simple things like lowering cost of registrations would help . Unfortunatly we will be left with no up an coming decent youngstock .